Prior To Move-In
What you need to know prior to moving in to your rental home
Sign your lease
- Please read your lease thoroughly, sign it, and submit it to IRES.
- Read and sign the application addendum: This is a disclosure sent to you in a Word document. You also need to sign and initial through the online portal.
Obtain renters’ insurance
- This is required by IRES in order to rent our property.
- The owner has insurance covering the structure and property, NOT your belongings.
- Renters’ insurance covers your contents and belongings. If fire and flooding is the tenants fault, the tenant is liable. If flooding or fire occurs and is not the tenant’s fault, the owner will repair the structure – NOT tenant belongings.
- Call your insurance provider to request info and to receive a quote.
Turn on your utilities
- Unless your lease states otherwise, the tenant is responsible for all utilities that are turned on by the 1st day of move-in.
- All utilities need to be in the tenant’s name: power, gas, water, sewer, trash, etc.
- Internet, TV, and phone also need to be in tenant’s name.
Complete a move-in inspection
- Schedule this during normal business hours.
- This is meant to document the current condition of home for both the tenant and IRES records.
- Make sure you take pictures of every room and pay close attention to details.
- Save a file of pictures and lease documentation for move-out. This is what will be referenced at the time of your move-out.
DOWNLOAD THIS FOR YOUR RECORDS →